Power Minister Launches Web Portal And App Called ‘PRAAPTI’
RK Singh, Minister of State for Power, launched the web portal and an app namely ‘PRAAPTI’ that stands for ‘Payment ratification and analysis in power procurement for bringing transparency in invoicing of generators’.
The portal ‘www.praapti.in’ has been developed to bring transparency in power purchase transactions between Generators and DISCOMs.
Vikas Gowda, India’s Only Discus Throw Gold Medallist At Commonwealth, Retires
Top Indian discus thrower Vikas Gowda retired after competing at the highest level for more than 15 years, during which he became the first and only Indian male to win Commonwealth Games medal in the discipline.
He has not taken part in any major international event since winning a bronze in the Asian Championships in 2017 in Bhubaneswar. His retirement was announced by the Athletics Federation of India. Gowda holds the national record of 66.28m (achieved in 2012).
Important Medals of his Life Includes:
-Gold in the 2013 and 2015 Asian Championships,
-Silver in the 2010 Commonwealth Games,
-Gold in the 2014 Glasgow CWG,
-Bronze in 2010 Asian Games, and
-Silver in 2014 Asian Games.
Ministry Of Women And Child Development Signs MoU With UP
The Ministry of Women and Child and Development, Government of India has signed an MoU with Department of Women and Child Development, Government of Uttar Pradesh, in New Delhi for management of Home of Widows at Sunrakh Bangar, Vrindavan.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development has constructed this shelter home for widows with a capacity of 1000 inmates. The MoU shall be in force for a period of 2 years which may be renewed for further period on the satisfactory running of the Home.
Virat Kohli Emerged As International Cricketer Of Year: CEAT Ratings
Indian skipper Virat Kohli has emerged as the International Cricketer of the Year at the CEAT Cricket Ratings awards, which were presented in Mumbai. Batsman Rohit Sharma collected the award on behalf of Kohli.
Other CEAT Cricket Ratings awards Presented are:
1. International Batsman of the Year Award: Shikhar Dhawan (India).
2. International Bowler of the Year Award: Trent Boult (New Zealand).
3. T20 Bowler of the Year Award: Rashid Khan (Afghanistan).
4. Outstanding Innings of the Year Award: Harmanpreet Kaur (India).
5. Lifetime Achievement Award: Farokh Engineer (India).
6. T20 Batsman of the Year Award: Colin Munro (New Zealand).
7. Domestic Player of the Year Award: Mayank Agarwal (India).
8. U19 Player of the Year award: Shubman Gill (India).
9. Popular Choice Award: Chris Gayle (West Indies).
Gujarat Government Launches ‘Reuse Of Treated Waste Water Policy’
The Gujarat government unveiled its ‘Reuse of Treated Waste Water Policy’ which aims to reduce the state’s dependence on freshwater sources like the Narmada river.
Gujarat’s Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel launched the policy at a function held in Gandhinagar. The policy will promote the use of treated wastewater and will see the setting up of sewage treatment plants (STP) in all major towns and cities of Gujarat.
Microsoft Is Now Third Most Valuable Firm Globally
Software giant Microsoft has surpassed Google’s parent company Alphabet in market capitalisation for the first time in three years. Microsoft has now become the third most valuable firm globally after Apple and Amazon.
Microsoft had a market cap of $753 billion at the close of trading, almost $14 billion ahead of Alphabet. While Apple leads with a market cap of nearly $924 billion, Amazon is at a distant second, with nearly $783 billion.
‘Gaj Yatra’ Flagged Off In Meghalaya
The Gaj Yatra campaign was flagged off by the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) Brand Ambassador Ms Dia Mirza at an event organised in Meghalaya. WTI and the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Government of India, formally launched the unique campaign.
The ’Gaj Yatra’, a “journey celebrating India’s national heritage animal”, aims at securing 100 elephant corridors across India. Four of these are in Meghalaya, including the Siju-Rewak corridor that some 1,000 elephants use to travel between the Balpakram and Nokrek National Parks in the State.
Justice R.K. Agrawal Appointed NCDRC Chairman
Justice R.K. Agrawal has been appointed as the President of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC).
He has replaced Justice D.K. Jain, who retired recently.
PM Modi 3-Nation Visit: India & Indonesia Sign 15 MoUs
On the first leg of 3-Nation visit, PM Modi has visited Indonesia. India and Indonesia signed 15 MoUs in the fields of defence, scientific and technological cooperation, railways and health, among others.
PM Modi and Indonesian President Joko Widodo in a joint statement also agreed to develop further cooperation in maritime sector for “immense stability” in the region.
New User Interface Of Next Generation E-Ticketing System Launched
Railway’s Online Travel Portal, www.irctc.co.in has now launched beta version of its new User Interface. The new link has more user friendly features for easier navigation. By creating Next Generation e-Ticketing (NGeT) system the new online ticket booking system of Railways provides an easy and fast way of booking rail tickets by automating the journey planning and purchase of tickets.
Salient features of the New User Interface are:
1. A user can now enquire/search trains and check the availability of seats without login also. User can now change font size throughout the website for the comfortable viewing experience.
2. The new look and feel will have enhanced class-wise, train-wise, destination-wise, departure/arrival time wise and quota-wise filters for facilitating customer while planning their journeys.
3. In addition, more features such as new filters on ‘My Transactions’ where user can also view their booked tickets based on Journey Date, Booking Date, Upcoming Journey and completed journey.
4. To enhance customer’s booking experience, interesting features like ‘Waitlist prediction’, etc have been introduced. Using this feature, user can get the probability of a Waitlisted or RAC ticket getting confirmed.
5. The new look and feel is providing the facility for the user to find out the availability up to the entire Advance Reservation Period i.e. 120 days at present, except few trains.
Paraguay Gets Its 1st Woman Interim President
Paraguay gets first interim woman President Alicia Pucheta for the first time in its history after outgoing leader Hora
-o Cartes stepped down ahead of schedule. After he resigned to become a senator Alicia Pucheta (Vice President ) will complete Cartes’s mandate.
She has just eight women among its 45 senators, and 11 among the 80 members of the lower house. She remains 135th out of 180 countries on the 2017 corruption index of Transparency International.