Vice President 3-Nation Visit: India, Romania Agree To Intensify Cooperation At UN
India and Romania have agreed to intensify cooperation at the United Nations and other multilateral fora in order to address global challenges.
It was issued in a statement after one to one talks between Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and President of Romania, Mr. Klaus Werner Lohannis in Bucharest. Romania was appreciated for its support to India’s bid for permanent membership of United Nations Security Council.
Government Appoints New MD & CEOs At 10 PSBs: Here Is All You Need To Know
The government of India cleared the appointment of Chief Executive Officers and Managing Directors (CEOs and MDs) at 10 Public Sector Banks (PSBs). They are part of the 15 names recommended by the Bank Boards Bureau for elevation. Of those named, five are currently the deputy managing directors of State Bank of India (SBI) while the other five are executive directors (EDs) at different government-owned banks.
Here is the list of people appointed as MD and CEO at various PSBs:
1. Padmaja Chundru – Indian Bank.
2. Mrutyunjay Mahapatra – Syndicate Bank.
3. Pallav Mohapatra – Central Bank of India.
4. Packirisamy – Andhra Bank.
5. Karnam Sekar – Dena Bank.
*All of the above people are currently deputy MDs at SBI.
6. SS Mallikarajuna Rao – Allahabad Bank – He is currently the ED of Syndicate Bank.
7. AS Rajeev – Bank of Maharashtra – He is currently the ED of Indian Bank.
8. Atul Kumar Goel – UCO Bank – He is currently the ED at Union Bank of India.
9. S Harisankar – Punjab & Sind Bank. He is currently the Executive Director of Allahabad Bank.
10. Ashok Kumar Pradhan – United Bank of India – He is currently the ED of United Bank of India.
Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani Visits India: Important Highlights
Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani was recently in India for visit. During a day-long visit, he reviewed and positively assessed the progress of the multi-faceted bilateral strategic partnership.
Important Highlights of the Bilateral Meeting Held in New Delhi
1. Both leaders (Narendra Modi and Ashraf Ghani) expressed determination to strengthen connectivity, including through Chabahar port and Air-Freight Corridor.
2. Expressed satisfaction at the increase in bilateral trade that has crossed the one billion dollar mark.
3. Mr Modi reiterated India’s support to an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned and Afghan-controlled peace and reconciliation process.
4. Mr Modi also raised concern over abducted Indian nationals in Afghanistan with Mr Ghani during their meeting.
5. The Afghan President has assured that efforts are being made to ensure the safe release of the Indian nationals.
Top Scientist KN Vyas Appointed Atomic Energy Commission Chief
Renowned scientist Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas has been appointed the secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission. Mr Vyas, who is at present Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), has been appointed in place of Shekhar Basu.
Mr Basu was appointed to the post in October 2015 and his tenure was to end in September 2016. Mr Vyas is a Mechanical Engineering graduate from MS University, Vadodara.
MoU Signed For Establishing Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre In Niger
India and Niger signed an MoU for the implementation of Mahatma Gandhi International Convention Centre (MGICC) in Niamey, Niger with the Indian government’s grant assistance.
The agreement was signed by Secretary (Economic Relations), Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) T.S. Tirumurti and Ambassador of Republic of Niger in India Ali Illiassou, in the presence of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Minister and Special Adviser to the President of Republic of Niger, Saidil Moctar Mohamed.